I was thinking today, about all these ship balancing that have been done in the game in the past few years, and I came to a conclusion.
As much as people like to claim that this game is a PVP game, and that the aim of the game is to blow people up etc. The most balanced ship classes in the game, are Mining Barges/Exhumers, Industrials and Freighters.
Exhumers and Barges have three choices of ship, and each choice has a specific role. No single one is “Better” overall.
- If you want to focus on yield, and have someone else focusing on hauling you want a Hulk/Covetor.
- If you have no-one to haul, you go for a Mackinaw/Retreiver.
- If Hauling the ore isn’t as important as keeping it safe, you use a Skiff/Procurer.
Balanced incredibly well.
Similarly for Industrials. If you simply want a large(ish, it’s not a freighter after all) hold, you go for one of the racial industrials designed for cargo in mind. If you want speed, you pick a racial industrial designed for speed. If you want to move a large amount of a particular item, but only that item, and you want some tank, you choose the industrial with bonuses to that.
Not as balanced as mining barges/exhumers, but still rather well balanced.
Each race has a benefit to use it’s freighter. (Tank, Speed, Cargo, Being Gold <What is the Amarr freighter good for again?>)
You can then customise each freighter, depending on what you’re hauling.
- Hauling a valuable, but low volume item? Stack it up with tank!
- Wanting to move fast, fill it with Inertia Stabilisers!
- Need more room and don’t care about tank or agility? Cargohold expanders!
More balanced than Industrials, and I’d say just as balanced as Barges (Except for the Providence).
Well, that’s enough late night ramblings from me… to bed I go!